Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sunday Stamping - Valentine's Day Nails

Hey there!  Not surprisingly, today's Sunday Stamping theme is Valentine's Day Nails so I thought this would be a good time to post these nails that I did with red and purple alcohol inks last weekend. If you haven't heard of using alcohol inks on nails before (honestly I'd never heard of alcohol inks at all before a couple of weeks ago), keep reading for a link to a really helpful YouTube video.



In case you haven't heard about them yet, people have been using alcohol inks lately for a granite-type of nail art.  The first YouTube video I saw using them is from Ten Little Canvases and can be found here.  Mine didn't turn out near as nice as hers but since this was my first try, I'll take it!  I was really worried about staining so, after seeing a post from another girl in the stamping group, I used 3 coats of base coat and two layers of white polish and a layer of top coat before sponging on the alcohol inks.  I did use masking fluid on my skin before I sponged but you can still see where the inks stained my cuticles so, if you try this yourself, be sure to protect your skin!


For the stamping I used a couple of negative space images from Winstonia's Wedding Bliss plate.  For a single person, I sure have managed to get some use out of this wedding plate.


Of course I used Mundo de Unas Black for the stamping and topped with HK Girl for all that shine.



I love the look these alcohol inks give.  Next time I try it I might leave more white spots and see if that helps the effect.  If you have any other suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them!

'Til next time...







No comments: